Thursday, June 3, 2010

Week two of Michigan

So far Michigan is treating me well. Last week I started work. I went through orientation and Swimming pool training. It was a week full of learning and was a bit overwhelming with the amount of information they threw at me. Training consisted of shadowing and in the classroom. By the end of the week I was doing pool inspections while supervised. Many of them I had to close due to low disinfectant in the pool, but the owners took it well. I'm ready to started inspecting on my own. I have a feeling I will get all kinds of reactions from pool owners when I start closing pools on my own.

This week I started doing Beach training which took place in a classroom. Basically I will be going out to 10 beaches over 2 days and collecting 3 water samples at each beach... and take the samples to the lab by noon... no pressure right. After training I mapped out the locations of my assigned beaches and began driving out to them to survey. Finding these places was a lot harder than I thought. Several times I had to stop and pull out a street atlas to find the locations (some didn't have addresses). It took me all day and I was exhausted. I'm going to be kept busy for sure, but overall I really like it. Tomorrow I will be doing more pool inspections with another employee before I start on my own next week.

I'm doing well. The county I work in is so big and soo many people live here...which means traffic everywhere. Also, I've learned that summertime in Michigan is when they like to do their road construction. I think they should start making left turns
(you can't turn left at a lot of places here-- therefore having make a "Michigan left" aka go make a u-turn). Yesterday for dinner I stopped to get take-out on my way home. Well since I couldn't turn left and drive 0.2 miles to home.. and there was road construction plus traffic down the road so I had to drive around the block and cut through neighborhoods driving several miles just to get home. It's kinda funny.

I hope everyone is doing well!! I miss North Carolina for sure. I'll let you know how next week goes!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment